Tuesday 17 March 2009

Chortle Chortle



A weekend of much comedy here in Sheffield, where the inaugral Sheffield Student Comedy Festival took place. It was organised by the universities own 'Shrimps', an improv comedy troupe, and featured sketches, improv, standup and more from around the UK.


We ventured down on Friday night for some jolly good fun. Highlight for me were the Cambridge Footlights, who were superb, but the whole event was incredibly well organised and I didn't see a bad act.


Sunday saw the Sheffield heat of the Chortle Student Comedy awards, which was also held at the university. The competition consists of ten heats around the UK, with around twelve participants in each. The winner of each heat is decided by a panel of judges from Chortle, “The UK comedy guide”.


Thoroughly milking my postgraduate student status, yours truly entered the contest. I didn’t win; that honour went to the hilarious, and very deserving, Joe Lycett but I had lots of fun. Unfortunately the clip of me selected by the good people of Chortle includes me telling an absolute stinker of a joke, which will never be aired again.


But a good night had nonetheless. All the acts were lovely, and very amusing. I’m backing Joe to win the final in Edinburgh.


You can see video clips of us here, and vote for your favourite act here... (One more act will progress to the final based on the public vote)

No comments: